Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Bill Harper 5K Run Aug 2010

25:15/4.75km (5:19min/km)

After the humiliating last male finish in front of Hooter girls last month, I wanted revenge. I went to Felix and asked for his help for training. He helped me with training plans and how to test my skills, and those brutal interval workouts. Just for that I don't finish as last male again in Bill Harper run. After training for 5 weeks, I was on the Centre Island again. I was so pumped up and eager for race. And for the first time in my life, I actually went warm up for a race. Before I used to think "I can barely finish 5k and you want me to run extra km to warm up? No way!" But after all those workouts during the 5 weeks training, I now warm up every time before I run. It makes huge difference in performance.

It was rainy in the morning on race day and trails were wet. I was worried about the final sprint because wet road may be more dangerous to sprint. But thanks to heaven it wasn't raining at all during the race. So gun fired and everybody's on their way to glory. I was well prepared for this race and put out everything I got. Remember from my mistakes, I didn't get drag by the pack in the beginning too. After 24-5 minutes I could see the finish line. It was a bit short, only 4.75km. As usual I sprinted to finish line, I was about to pass a group of 2 two racers, a female runner in the group saw me and started to sprint too. Seeing that pumped up my blood and I ran even faster. I was catching up and almost pass her, but finish line was right in front of us. I didn't know it's a tie or who actually won but it's okay, the excitements I had was all it matters. I was amazed by myself for the results, I was hoping to do a 27 minute finish but I actually did better. All thanks to Felix's 555 program: Improve 5 minutes in a 5K race in 5 weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment