Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Pearson Runway Run 5K June 2011

27:52 (5:35min/km)
M30-39(64/139) M(229/507) O(293/1086)

A couple of running friends were planning to do a race together just for fun since Bill Harper run no longer exists. We were going to do Unionville Festival 5K run but the organizer was so rude to Jack some of them decided to do Honey and Bread. Me, Kang and Ray signed up for Pearson Runway run. After last year's Bill Harper 5K result, I was hoping I could improve the time for a little bit. My goal was actually 25minutes. But things were not going as well as I thought. I got bruised heel in May and it hurts a little bit when I run. I tried to rest a week or two but it didn't go away. I couldn't do much hard workouts and eventually I gave up the goal. I just wanted to finish this race and try again when I'm healthy.

On the race day, I still had the bruised heel. I had been over a month and still not 100% recovered. It still hurt when I was warming up at the Pearson Airport. I didn't know if I should race or not because I don't want the injure to become permanent. But I decided to run it, you only live once. This was probably the largest race I've been to so far. Over 1000 participants to run on runways shouting and jumping. And you probably can't find any other courses flatter than this. So the race started, 1000+ warriors charged out, it was so exciting. But the excitement couldn't stop the pain from the heel. I ran with pain for the first 2km and I don't feel pain anymore. Probably the mental torture or pain from the muscle were greater than the pain from the heel. 3km, 4km, and 1 more km till finish line and I was tired already. I had been slacking too much for the bruised heel, I was totally out of shape. I finally could see the finish line in sight. I started to speed up, I felt like i was going to fly on the runway. I felt so good and I was so happy I ran this race instead of walking it. After I crossed the finish line and the volunteer gave me my first ever finishing medal. I was so happy because I earned it. I'll never forget this event, probably going to brag to my grandchildren in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment